Thursday, April 7, 2011

Time - Personal Practice

Time tells all things, or so I've heard.

Okay, so i've experienced it too!

Gosh, I can't tell you how often I want to speed up time to accomplish a goal or see how things will turn out.

Along the way i've been lucky enough to have friends that remind me to look up, stop, breath the fresh air, smell the flowers, etc...

Unfortunately, for a long time I needed the other people in my life to remind me to be in the moment, I couldn't do it on my own.

I had been known to stay so focused on the outcome I forgot to experience the journey.  

This bad habit wasted my precious time as I didn't see things as they actually were in the moment.  I saw only what I wanted to.

Then somewhere along the way I'd reach my goal and look back and find I struggled needlessly.  In reflection I noticed that I often tried to force outcomes and learning experiences could have been less tedious if I'd been present along the journey. 

The struggle was of no value because only time could tell me what I wanted to know.

I had to learn to enjoy the journey and accept what was happening in the moment.  

Enjoying the journey also meant accepting when things would not work out as I had planned.  Those have been some of the hardest lessons to learn.

This week I've found myself getting ahead of myself.  I still struggle with wanting to know all the answers now.  I find myself wanting to force an outcome.  I see where I get frustrated if my expectations are not met.  Getting ahead of myself is still part of who I am.

However I can say, thank goodness I started my practice of being in the moment years ago!  Thank goodness I still want to and do practice.

I'm grateful for being able to step back, temper myself, and assess where I am in time in relation to something.

Being in the moment makes all the difference!

So I continue to practice by allowing time to tell me what I want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment