Thursday, December 3, 2009

Learning - Personal Practice

I have recently had a lot of changes in my life.  

I moved.  I’m living with another person where I use to live alone.
I visited a foreign place.  I have new projects at work. 

One constant in all of this has been that I have to keep an open mind and be willing to learn and adapt.

This is easier said than done!

My routine has completely changed!  I am like a fish out of water!  I get frustrated and I cry because I miss the comfort of what is familiar and easy to me.

However, I choose this!  I’m glad I’m choosing to change and be different!  I’m happy and excited and feel alive to challenge my comfort zones.

I could choose to stay the same and never change.  I could stop learning about myself and think that “this is who I am”.  

I could take a job where I do the same thing all the time.  I could surround myself with people who do not challenge me or press me to try new things.  

I could choose people to socialize with that accept my approach to life and do not challenge me to try new approaches to solve problems we may experience in sharing our experiences together.

I choose to allow discomfort in my life.  This way I know I’m being challenged and I’m learning.

Don’t get me wrong.  I want to be comfortable and have a familiarity with places, things, jobs, and people.  

However, I don’t want to think that things are not going to change.  That I will stop growing or that my job has no challenge left for me.  Or think that the significant people in my life will not grow or offer challenge to me.   

I want to learn and evolve to keep the journey exciting and interesting.

So I say to myself when things are hard and challenging that this is part of learning something new.  I accept the discomfort and frustration.

I want to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment