Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Did It! - Personal Practice

Ah.  Vacation.  It's a wonderful thing!

Most of us think of vacation as a time to get away from it all, relax, and recharge.  To forget our regular daily activities and do something out of the norm.

I just got back from a three week road trip.  Now, that is out of the norm for me!

I thought I would have all this time to think and be lazy.  Wow was I mistaken!

From the time we were out the door it was go, go, go!  One place to the next, so it all could be seen and experienced.

I found myself after the first week thinking "what have I learned this week".  I learned I'm not in control as much as I would like to think I am.  But, I do always have choice.  And some nights I choose to sleep in a motel instead of a tent!

In the second week I learned that I can complain, but no one likes a complainer!  It's best to keep a positive attitude and enjoy the experience.  Even if you are dirty and tired. 

The best lesson came in week three in which I learned that I could be someone who says I'll do that someday maybe or I could do it!  I was challenged to step out of my comfort zone and now I can say "I Did It!"

What did I do?  

I Backpacked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and out!  I hiked to the top of this "Very Scary" trail in Zion National Park called Angels Landing!  

Both, quite an accomplishment for someone who used to be extremely afraid of heights.  

I'm not ashamed to say that I've patted myself on the back for these accomplishments and held my arms high in the air and screamed "I Did It!"

At the end of vacation, I will not lie, I was happy to get home and have access to running water and a flushing toilet 24x7.  I don't think I'll ever stop liking these luxuries.  

But, if I were faced with another adventure I'd do it in a heartbeat!  Even without the comforts of my own bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment