Thursday, June 24, 2010

Your Breath - Personal Practice

I recently read that if you breath with intention for 109 breaths each day that you will reach enlightenment.  

I can't remember where I read this, or if it was from a creditable source, but I did try the technique once.

I tried it while doing something I thought would be relaxing, but I kept getting distracted.

Which is leading me to be more thoughtful about my breath.

I've been noticing how easily distracted I can get and how my breath changes.  

When my breath is shallow and stressed I ask myself why.  Then I focus on breathing through the issue at hand.

When my breath is steady and even, I take it for granted.

The bottom line is that I do not have consistency with my breath.

I find my mind races with all the things I want to do and should do and my breath matches my thoughts.

I know how important the breath is.  It is a key element to my yoga practice on the mat.  Without a steady breath I lack balance and focus during yoga practice.  

If I breath too fast I get anxious and agitated and I tend to be all over my mat.  

The longer and more steady the breath during yoga practice, the happier and more balanced I am.

Wow!  Shouldn't that translate to every minute of my life?  

How can I retain what I learn and be happy and balanced if I can not consciously breath at all times?

The self observation of my breath this week has made me realize I really need to breath, and I need to breath deep consciously!

So maybe it's best I sit in a quite place by myself and start with 50 breaths and work my way up to 109 breaths.

Wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment