Thursday, September 23, 2010

Be Yourself - Personal Practice

In life I've found myself putting on personas in order to fit in.  

When acting out a role I felt was expected of me in society...I've felt like an impostor, lost, and a bit scared at times.  It's amazing I felt that way even when many around me thought I was successful!

I believe those feelings are normal when you are not living authentically.

I recently found myself in a situation I've been in before.  It's the situation where I've tried to convince myself I can do or be something I'm not.  

Amazingly each time I've been in a non-authentic situation it doesn't work out.  Ether straight away it doesn't work out because those around me can see clearly what I can not, or eventually I come to my senses and move on.  

There are also those little things you do to sabotage yourself.  It's those little subtle comments or actions that others pick up on or eventually you hear yourself say that speaks the truth loud and clear. 

When something non-authentic to myself doesn't work out, sure I'm disappointed on some level, but there is this opportunity that arises out of the disappointment.  It's the opportunity to be honest with myself and seek out something that is authentic to me.

Yes, this is easier said than done!

It takes self acceptance and hard work to live authentically.

My challenge is to refrain from jumping into the same comfort zones I go to when I feel scared.  By comfort zones I mean the familiar and safe places that seem to always work for me.

To be different I have to do things differently and that's hard!

So off I go to practice being my most authentic self!

No comments:

Post a Comment