Thursday, September 30, 2010

Growth - Personal Practice

This past week I've found myself in painful situations in which I have felt overwhelmed and a loss of control.

The loss of control has been so strong that anxiety took hold of my heart.

The most painful part about this is that I know what the issues are.

I'm forcing myself to do things I don't want to do.  I'm putting myself in situations I know I will not like.

Why am I doing this?  Because I'm trying to be open to new experiences.  

I'm pushing my comfort zones to see if I might like something I'm trying.

The tough part about this is I know my instincts are telling me, no, this is not for me.  But I'm doing it anyway.

Why do we put ourselves through these experiences I find myself asking.

I think it's because there is hope for change.

This feeling of being a bit lost is good!  It's when significant growth happens in life!

When I reflect back on some of the most trying times in my life, my growth has been substantial and I evolved into a person I like better.

So, I find myself during this time of discomfort and anxiety simply trying to be accepting.  I'm accepting this moment for what it is and doing my best to refrain from trying to force a solution.

I'm trying new things and accepting I might not be my most comfortable and self assured self.  

I'm giving myself an opportunity to grow.

Just like during a yoga class when I hear the teacher cue a posture I dislike.  My mind immediately takes over and tries to talk me out of trying.  My significant growth in body happens when I accept the posture, listen to the cues, and attempt the recommended adjustments.

I'm doing my best to practice growth through discomfort off the mat.  

I choose to let go of force and control, accept the discomfort, and embrace my growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment