Thursday, March 5, 2009

This "IS" It! - Personal Practice

I like to take chances!  I find it exciting, but stressful at the same time!

However, I often have to remind myself that it’s a choice that I’m making ot take the chance.

Sometimes the chances work out and sometimes they do not.  And my practice is to recognize that when a chance does not work out that it was a choice I made to take the chance.

I find myself talking through some of the chances I take that are challenging.  If you were a fly on the wall I’m sure you would think “Wow…Other people think this way too”!

I talk to myself out loud and say things like “I’m afraid.  Why am I afraid?  Is my ego getting in the way?  Am I listening closely to an inner voice of the past?  (The I can’t Voice)  Why can’t I let this go?  Wait.  I can let this go!  I can do this!  I need to acknowledge I’m afraid!  Do it scared!  I want this!  Make it happen!”

It’s a progression.  I first acknowledge that I am afraid.  That I’m putting myself out there and it’s scary to do that.

I then practice reminding myself that some chances I take may not work out and I’ll be disappointed and sad, or I’ll take rejection personally and get a little depressed.  And I remind myself this is a normal response to disappointment.

On the flip side, I may have a great outcome to a chance taken and I’ll think “Thank Goodness I Took That Chance!”  I’ll be proud of myself for putting myself out there.  And I remind myself this too is a normal response to success.

I just need to be careful of my ego beating me up too much or patting me on the back too much.

It’s all a gamble, it’s all a series of choices.  The challenge is to be aware of what is happening in any given moment.

This is life.

Be in it!  Life it!  Chance it!

It’s worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment