Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life Experience - Personal Practice

I notice that I have a tendency to let the priorities of the life I’m supposed to lead take over my life.  

As I evaluate the “supposed to” part of this I have to ask myself, do I want to live my life in a “supposed to” way?

The answer came back with an emphatic “NO”!

I’m grateful for the life I’ve led and the experiences I’ve had, I like me and the person I am.  There is value in the lessons I learned when following the “supposed to” mentality.  

It taught me what I do and do not want for my life.

It brought me to a place where I asked difficult questions of myself, and had to be honest in my answers.

When I think of “priorities” now, I ask myself if this is truly a priority to me, or do I feel like it “should” be a priority to me.

If the answer comes back as “should” I know that it’s not really me who feels it’s a priority.  It’s external.  The use of the word “should” is always a clear indicator to me that it may not really be important in the larger scheme of things for my journey.

My practice is to actually place priority where it belongs, and on the experiences that will enrich my life and offer the most personal satisfaction in my journey.

This is not easy as I find myself thinking about what I “should” do often and I have guilt associated to the “should”.

In time and with practice it will get easier to see the “should” for what it truly is; a self defeating attempt to live life in a way that is without truth.

I will place priority where it belongs!

No comments:

Post a Comment