Thursday, May 13, 2010

Non-Attachment - Personal Practice

I am not as "easy going" as I like to think.  I have many attachments!  

A few examples are I like to use my own personal bathroom, I want my vehicle to run properly at all times, and I like the routine of writing "The Yoga Lessons" each week.

Well, I can tell you I've had quite the week regarding attachment.

I'm going on vacation and I'll be camping.  Which requires I be easy going regarding the use of public bathrooms, something I'm not good at.

Luckily this week I had a friend talk about an experience with dysentery.   My friend was so enthusiastic about just getting out there and trying something new even though there was discomfort associated to the experience.  I caught the enthusiasm!  I thought to myself "I can do this!  I can camp and use a public bathroom!  Heck!  Maybe even a port-a-potty!"  Well, that last comment may be a bit much.

This week is my Birthday Week!  Now, this is a big deal to me and always has been.  I'm that person that likes to extend my Birthday the whole MONTH, if I can get away with it.

I spoke to my significant other about my expectations and he politely reminded that "I can't expect others to be mind readers" and all I need to do is ask for what I want and need.  We had experienced a lot of heart ache because I attached to past experiences and expectations.  I'm working to let go of the attachment and I've found some new experiences that are wonderful!  I just needed to stop looking at the past.  Ah, more practice for me!

Now the weird one!  I have a real affection for my vehicle.  For some reason it represents independence to me and no other vehicle will do!  I have to have this vehicle!

Of all things, on my birthday my car stalled and simply stopped working.  I was really disappointed that my birthday plans changed in the middle of the day and I needed to address the issue with my vehicle.  I really felt like it let me down.  How could my vehicle do this to me?!?  Then, I was reminded that it's not a big deal, it's only a vehicle.  I can let go of this "attachment".  Hmm...

Ugh!  Why can't I just be finished with all these lessons?  Why can't I be done practicing?  Why am I just not automatically enlightened?

Well.  I guess because I haven't let go of my attachments.  I like my comforts and comfort zones.  And there is nothing wrong with this.

Maybe I'll get there, I'll reach enlightenment, maybe I won't.  But I wouldn't give up the practice of getting to know myself better for anything!  

What a Great Journey with wonderful friends and family to help me along the way to gain new perspectives and show me when I'm attached.

Non-Attachment.  Easier said than done!

No comments:

Post a Comment