Thursday, March 24, 2011

Empathy - Personal Practice

I found myself relating to others this week on a variety of feelings, and I was amazed at how much I learned about myself.

The best part about this was that it was open communication and the dialog was easy.

I would share a thought or feeling and then whom ever I was conversing with would do the same.

My week was full of multiple mini brainstorming sessions.

Topic's varied from building new relationships to letting go of old ones, and to something as deep as co-dependency and addiction to unhealthy habits.

What is fun in retrospect is that I had no idea my interactions would take me to such a heightened sense of self awareness.

I offered suggestions to my friends and acquaintances and found myself wondering why I don't take my own advice more often.  

Sometimes I realized during conversation the other knows what is best to do and just wants a friendly ear to listen, as I do at times also.

I think we all know how to live our best life, unfortunately it's a series of trial and error we each need to go through on our own to get to our own personal best.

It's the help along the way in each of our journeys that makes all the difference, I think.

When I stop and think about how relating and empathizing with others and how those interactions make me a better person, I'm so grateful for my relationships.

And so I say, take every opportunity to empathize with others and refrain from being afraid to share!

You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment