Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's What You Make Of It - Personal Practice

I can't help but notice in reflection how many opportunities I have missed because I've thought something better would come along.

I've neglected my instincts because I didn't want to deal with the discomfort of doing what I felt was best for me.

Instead of being in the moment and embracing where and what I've had, I spent time thinking about how the future will look.

I've spent countless hours dreading the start of a day or doing a chore that I found unpleasant.

Why am I pondering all these things?

Because I had a friend ask for my advice this week.

The request for advice came after this friend had received advice from someone else and felt conflicted.

It was a simple enough request in which the person simply sought an opinion based on my experience.  But it left me thinking about how easy it is to speak with authority on something I truly know nothing about, which is; what it's like to be the person in the experience. 

My experience with something will be unlike anyone else's.  Sure there will be similarities, but it's what each of us as individuals make of something, our attitudes toward that something, that defines the experience.

To further back up my observation...

I had another friend this week post a comment on a Monday morning stating how it was going to be great week because the alarm went off to start the day, played a song that was full of energy, and reminded them how great it is to be alive!

I loved that comment the moment I read it because I thought my friend started the day with a great outlook on life and the enthusiasm in the post sparked my enthusiasm!

So I have to say a big thank you to my friends for reminding me....

I can begin a day with a negative attitude, while my friend begins the day with a positive one.  We can interact with all the same people.  We can have the same job to do.

But in the end it's our attitudes that define our experiences, how we feel about others, and how we feel about ourselves 

So why not go out into the world each day with the best attitude possible!

After all, it's what you make of it!

1 comment:

  1. What if there are no negative experiences, but only opportunities to learn and grow, laugh at life, or laugh at yourself?

    Just thinking about you saying that some people think you're crazy for taking time off your job to teach yoga. I'd just like to say that I am so grateful you did, because I feel so blessed to have been one of your students! And so, I send you one of my favorite 'Notes from the Universe"

    First, choose from the options that thrill you.

    Then, choose the ones that also teach you.

    And from these, choose the scariest.

    Butterflies in your tummy are good,
    The Universe

    ReplyDelete