Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bond - Personal Practice

I found myself wondering this past week "what am I doing and why am I in this situation?"

In order to find some clarity I started with the simple question of "am I happy?"

The answer was yes and no. 

Day to day there are annoyances in most relationships I think.  I know I question why I continue to move forward even when I feel disconnected.  Sometimes there is no answer, I just keep moving forward.  

I'm not satisfied with moving forward, just because!  I wanted a purpose!

In an attempt to find an answer I talked to those closest to me about my thoughts, they listened and gave their perspective.

Thank goodness for people who know you and want to see the best for you!  

These people reminded me that I'm not perfect and that everyone has difficult times, but most important was that I don't have to do or be anywhere that is not healthy or positive for me.

So I thought "what have I got to loose, this has to be resolved."

My next step was to ask the other person, "what is the benefit of being in this situation?"

We decided to put together lists of the good, the bad, and the ugly as a place to start our assessment.

Upon review of the lists, we weren't told anything we didn't already know about our situation.

It was the slight difference in how we see the good, the bad, and the ugly that showed us how we keep getting frustated.  

Then the other person reminded me of our initial bond and why they believe we stay united.

Our bond is wanting similar things out of life.  Having similar ideals, core values and goals.

As we talked through the issues I also noticed I was not being honest with what I want and need.  In many cases I expected it just be known by the other person.  

I felt silly asking for what I want, but I did it!

The results of opening up and being honest were, and are, exciting!  I found that the things I want align with our bond.  

Importantly, I also found options for compromise.  I received acceptance for things I'm unwilling to compromise on. 

I feel a renewed sense of purpose with our bond.  I feel a freedom to be myself.  

I'm sure there will be strife along the way as after all we are two different people and perceive life differently.  

As long as happiness outweighs unhappiness the bond will stay strong.

Don't all relationships need a bond?

If so, without a bond and a purpose why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment