Thursday, January 1, 2009

Set an Intention! - Personal Practice

I got to thinking about all the Intentions I have for myself.  I’m confident this year is going to bring into my life all that I want.  The question I had for myself was what is it that I want?  So I started to write everything I want down.  I want a lot!

Then I thought what do I want that is important?  What will lead me on a path with discipline that will add passion and determination to my life versus adding dread and discontent?  

Do you ever do that?  Make a list of things you think you have to do or have to be happy?  I’ve been practicing refraining from this type of behavior, but from time to time I realize I still do it.

So I started to refine my list.  As I did so, I dug a little deeper and started thinking about trends in my behavior.  What has led me down paths in which I have not achieved things on my list to date?  As you can guess many things on my list have been there for some time.  

Then I started to wonder if I haven’t achieved the things on my list because they may not actually be that important to me and I only put them on my list because society has taught me that I should have a socially acceptable goal to be happy.

So I started looking for lessons as I always do.  I looked for them from my teachers, my friends, my family, chance conversations with strangers, the media, from my books, etc...  I’m always looking for lessons and receiving them.  

For instance: 

1) Set an intention.  A good teacher teaches their students to listen to and to trust themselves, to believe in their dreams and set intentions. 

2) There is no such thing as perfection.  We are human and will make mistakes and do things we know are not good for us.  

3) All things change.  We can choose to dread change or embrace it. 

With these three lessons above...I thought...


To live and to experience life is all we have, and we can set intentions but they may change as life is ever changing.  We should embrace the change as it appears to be the Divine’s way of letting us know that we shouldn’t get to comfortable or satisfied with any one accomplishment.  To live is a practice and we should practice everyday to achieve being our best selves, utilizing the intentions we have set for ourselves in the moment.

So, Definitely Set an Intention!  But, don’t beat yourself up for changing your mind or making mistakes, after all you’re human!  



No comments:

Post a Comment