Thursday, May 28, 2009

Monotony - Personal Practice

Routine is something I’m very familiar with.  Most of my life has been run by routine.  

I tend to find it in everything I do and then attach myself to the routines.  I find them very comforting and at time enjoyable.

When I practice something so much that it becomes a routine, I find reward in knowing the routine and becoming at times an expert in the routine so I can share it with others.

Routine has also caused me heartache, as there have been many times I’ve let routine rule me.  Routine became so important that I would forgo a new challenge or opportunity for fear of missing out on the routines of my life.

Routines have taken such a chunk of time in each day of my life that I had little time left for any enjoyment.  The need to accomplish the routines left me stressed and tired.

I now know this about myself.  I know that I can let routine rule me in both good and bad.  I know that I can go to the extremes with routine.

My challenge to myself is to recognize when I feel so compelled to follow a routine that I will sacrifice other desires I have for myself in life.

So I made a “small” list of other desires I have for myself.  I prioritized this list.  I’ve forced myself to recognize when an opportunity arises that could lead me down a path of reaching a desire on the list.  Then I take the opportunity and forgo the routines of my life.  

This is not an easy task.  

The rewards are not without fear, but I remind myself when I have a fearful emotion that I’m challenging myself and breaking the monotony of my life and all its routines.  That I’m reaching for something more in my life and allowing myself to have all that I want out of this journey.

In a short time of this practice, the rewards are great!

I will continue to step out of monotony and make a “bigger” list of desires!

No comments:

Post a Comment