Thursday, October 22, 2009

Priorities! - Personal Practice

I have an ever changing list of priorities.  

Some priorities are necessary for day to day maintenance of my life, while others are priorities that help me to obtain goals in my life.

I have this view that some priorities can slide while others are required.

The ones that slide are usually the ones that are most important to me, while the ones that are completed are most important to someone else.  Why is this?

Possibly because I know there are expectations of me, or my name is attached to something and I take pride in that fact.  

I find I feel obligated to the lists I create to have some sense of order added to my life and so I can account to others.

I have to ask myself, what about the accountability to myself?  Why do I let my personal priorities slide?

Are they the right priorities?

It’s so easy to complete priorities for someone else.  I don’t have to think about the importance they have to me.  I go on autopilot and just get them done.  When I’m praised for a job well done upon completion of the priority, my ego inflates and I move onto the next priority someone has for me.

Why do I do this?  I know what my priorities are.  They are important and will enrich my life.  Bottom line is, I’m Scared!  I’m afraid of my own self.

I create reasons as to why the priority has to wait.  

I create diversions for myself with false priorities and goals.

I do this all because I’m afraid!

When I think of what I’m doing.  I can’t help but be disappointed in myself.

Then I realize.  I’m aware.  I know what I’m doing.  No need to be disappointed, just stay aware!

So I continue to practice staying aware and making the transition to focus on my real priorities in life.

I am in control!

No comments:

Post a Comment