Thursday, April 23, 2009

Looking Past the Moment - Personal Practice

What a challenge it has been lately to stay in the moment!

I’ve found myself making my mind up on exactly how the future should look and feel.  I’ve found myself making plans for all the things I “should” do in the upcoming months.

I’ve found myself reflecting on the past and its impact on my current life.

The big thing here is “I’ve found myself” doing these things.

It’s a practice to stay in the moment and recognize such behavior.  

It’s a practice to know that your fate is not within your control and the moment is all you truly have.

The difficulty of this practice became evident this week as a family member was struck ill suddenly.

There was nothing that could be done but wait to see if I could help in anyway necessary.  There was nothing to fix on my part.

It was out of my hands.

I felt calm and at peace with the moments of my life as I came to terms with this. 

It’s not that I haven’t been at terms with it, but sometimes life sends you gentle reminders to continue with your practice of being aware and in the moment.

So as life happens, I choose to be in the moment.  And I’m thankful for the people in my life that remind me to continue with this practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment