Thursday, April 16, 2009

Telling Yourself the Truth - Personal Practice

I have particularly been interested in the truth this week.  

Throughout my life I’ve been blessed with family and friends who “call me out” when I’m being less than honest with myself.

However, in my past I’ve admittedly dismissed them at time and continued along my disillusioned path.  I had convinced myself of the lie I was telling me.

Through hard work and awareness I am now able to “call myself out”.

This is tough!  

The lies I tell myself sometimes can be so elaborate that I get confused!  When I think back it’s rather humorous.

Why would I go through this much trouble?  The answer is fear!

I’ve found in retrospect that when I’m afraid I find ways to protect myself and to lie to myself gives me comfort and can remove some of the fear.  But only for a short time does this work.

The irony in any lie is that you need another lie to aid the first one, then another, then another.  Until you become so engrossed in the lies you no longer know the real truth.  Even the ones you tell only yourself.

So to practice telling myself the truth, when ever I want to lie to myself I tell the lie out loud while looking in the mirror.  If that doesn’t work, I call a trusted friend or family member. 

I’m not interested in lies.  I’ve found the lifestyle of maintaining them takes way too much energy that can be used elsewhere for more positive experiences in life.

I will not lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment