Thursday, April 30, 2009

Listen - Personal Practice

For the first time in a long time I found myself wanting to really listen to another person.

Don’t get me wrong.  I listen intently to others all the time.  In fact I’m very fastidious when it comes to details of conversations when I am trying to accomplish a task.  

However, I should note that when I’m being so fussy I’m usually taking notes during the conversation to put together a plan.   It’s usually being done in order to achieve a desired outcome in the “occupational” world.

And much to the disappointment of those closest to me I tend to get ahead of myself and them in conversation and miss some of the details when they relay a story or situation to me.  I’m thankful for their patience with me!  I’m also thankful for when they call me out on this!

This week though I met a person who I listened to intently and found myself interested in their life.  When I wanted to talk ahead of them in excitement, I stopped.  I continued to listen.  And I was interested for the pure enjoyment of the interaction.

Interestingly enough this interaction happened at the same time I found guidance from a friend who recommended I read “The Five Love Languages” by Author Gary Chapman.

In this read it explained how an individual needs to be appreciated.  How when others interact with an individual, if they know the love language of that individual it will make for a dynamic and enjoyable relationship.

To understand any one persons love language you must first listen.  Step out of your expectations and your learned behavior based on past circumstance.  Step out of the thought process that you can read a situation based on experience.  

Listen with fresh ears and a fresh heart!

Listen and live a new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment