Thursday, January 28, 2010

Who Am I - Who I Am - Personal Practice

I have been trying hard to be everything to everyone.

And I didn’t even realize it!

It’s been so ingrained in me to work hard and “do it all”!

All my practice of self awareness and I missed this!  Ugh!

We can lead these lives and practice our self awareness and think we know who we are and then old behaviors creep up on us in times of stress.

This happened to me.  I was frustrated and anxious, working hard to meet goals, be there for others in my life, and complete all my work projects.

Then I snapped.  I asked myself “Who Am I”?  Where am I going?  What am I achieving by all this running around?

I took a break.  I asked myself if I truly knew myself.

I listed out all of my values and what is important to me and how I define myself.

Then I listed out how I have been behaving and if I thought that this behavior was me.

Yes and no.  I have behavior that is ingrained in me and is part of who I am, but much of it is ego driven.  Fueled by the need for acceptance I will not say no, even though I should.

Take a moment and remove the ego and I allow myself the luxury of saying no.  I prioritize based on my values.  I then am able to tell myself “Who I Am”.

I can’t expect that I will have complete self awareness overnight, or that I have gained anything close to total self awareness over the past years in my practice.  But I continue to try.  I continue to practice.

With each step in this journey I gain the self awareness that helps me to lead a happier and healthier life.

I feel full of cliché’s but “I’m not where I want to be, but I’m sure glad I’m not where I was”.  Mean that I can recognize when I don’t know who I am anymore and that I feel lost.  I can stop and take a needed break to gain back my self awareness and what it is I want out of my life.  

I know “Who I Am”!

No comments:

Post a Comment